Will Rogers World Airport
Will Rogers World Airport is a major transportation hub in the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma area. As the primary commercial airport serving the region, it offers travelers a wide range of services and amenities. In this article, we will explore the history of the airport, its facilities, transportation options, and nearby attractions.
Will Rogers World Airport was named in honor of the famous American humorist and cowboy philosopher Will Rogers. Established in 1946, the airport has grown significantly, accommodating millions of passengers annually.
- Originally known as the Oklahoma City Municipal Airport
- Renamed after Will Rogers in 1941
- The first terminal building was constructed in 1967
- Major expansions carried out in the 1980s and early 2000s
Today, the airport is a key transportation gateway for the Oklahoma City region, with numerous airlines offering domestic and international flights.
Facilities and Amenities
Travelers passing through Will Rogers World Airport can enjoy a variety of facilities and amenities designed to make their journey more comfortable and convenient.
- Spacious, modern terminal building
- Numerous airline lounges for relaxation
- Wide range of dining options, including fast food, casual eateries, and sit-down restaurants
- Shopping outlets, including newsstands, gift shops, and duty-free stores
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the terminal
- Charging stations and workspaces for business travelers
- Children's play area and family restrooms
- Pet relief area for traveling animals
Additionally, the airport offers various services to assist passengers with disabilities or special needs, including accessible parking, wheelchair assistance, and hearing loops.
The various transportation options make getting to and from Will Rogers World Airport easy.
- On-site parking: The airport offers short-term and long-term parking options, with convenient access to the terminal building.
- Rental cars: Several major car rental agencies operate on-site, allowing travelers to pick up or drop off their vehicles quickly.
- Taxis and rideshare services: Taxis and rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft are available for transport to and from the airport.
- Public transportation: The Oklahoma City public bus system operates a route that connects the airport to downtown Oklahoma City and other key destinations.
- Hotel shuttles: Many local hotels offer complimentary shuttle services for their guests, providing a convenient way to reach your accommodations.
If you have some time to spare before or after your flight, several attractions in the Oklahoma City area are worth exploring.
Some of these include:
- The Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum: This poignant memorial honors the victims, survivors, and rescuers of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.
- The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum: This museum showcases the history and culture of the American West, featuring art, artifacts, and interactive exhibits.
- The Oklahoma City Zoo: A popular family destination, this zoo is home to over 1,900 animals and offers a variety of educational programs and events.
- The Myriad Botanical Gardens: Located in downtown Oklahoma City, these beautiful gardens feature a tropical conservatory, walking paths, and outdoor event spaces.
Whether you're visiting Oklahoma City for business or leisure, Will Rogers World Airport provides a welcoming gateway to the region. With its modern facilities, convenient transportation options, and proximity to local attractions, it's no wonder this airport is a popular choice for travelers.